“By the sacred anointing of the sick and the prayer of the priests the whole Church commends those who are ill to the suffering and glorified Lord, that he may raise them up and save them. And indeed she exhorts them to contribute to the good of the People of God by freely uniting themselves to the Passion and death of Christ.”[Catechism of the Catholic Church Part 2, Section 2, Ch. 2, 1499]
Please call the parish office @ 508.995.7600 if you or someone you know is facing serious surgery, is gravely ill, or is near death. Fr. Ryan will visit that person whether in the community, hospital, or nursing facility.
What will happen?
The priest will anoint the sick person with Holy Oil (olive oil mixed with balsam, blessed each year by the bishop at the annual Chrism Mass on Holy Thursday), laying on his hands, and praying, “Through this holy anointing may the Lord in his love and mercy help you with the grace of the Holy Spirit. May the Lord who frees you from sin save you and raise you up.”
What does Anointing of the Sick accomplish?
* It unites the sick person to the Passion of Christ, for his own good and that of the whole Church.
* It strengthens, bestows peace, and courage to endure in a Christian manner the sufferings of illness or old age.
* It removes sins, if the sick person was not able to obtain it through the sacrament of Penance.
* It restores health, if, by the will of God, it is conducive to the salvation of his soul.
* It prepares for passing over to eternal life.